COLEMAN'S-WELL, or CLOUNCORAGH, a parish, in the barony of UPPER-CONNELLO-EAST, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 2 miles (N. N. W.) from Charleville, on the road to Ballingarry; containing 821 inhabitants. This parish comprises 4506 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. It is watered by the river Maigue, which here forms a boundary between the counties of Cork and Limerick. The land in every part is moderately good, and in the neighbourhood of Foxall and Drewscourt, where it is well farmed and planted, it is very fertile; the meadow land is considered equal to any in the county.
The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Limerick, and held in commendam by the Bishop, or, according to some writers, forms part of the mensal of the see: the tithes amount to £110. 0. 10. The church has long since fallen into decay, and the Protestant parishioners attend divine service in the parish church of Bruree.
In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Bruree, which is also called Rockhill, and contains a chapel. The water of St. Colman's well is reputed to possess great efficacy, and is held in high veneration by the peasantry of the surrounding country who assemble here in great numbers on the anniversary of the saint, and at other times.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.