Donaghmore

Primary tabs

DONOUGHMORE, a parish, in the county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 2½ miles (S. E.) from Limerick; containing 729 inhabitants.

This parish is situated on the road from Limerick to Bruff, and comprises 821 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and about 97 acres of bog mostly cut out and reclaimed. The land is generally good, but, though so near the city of Limerick, the system of agriculture is in a very unimproved state; some of the land is depastured by milch cows and the produce sent daily to Limerick. There are several handsome residences in the neighbourhood, of which the principal are Ballyseeda, that of T. G. Fitzgibbon, Esq.; South Hill, of S. Evans, Esq.; and Clonlong, of J. Norris, Esq.; and there are several substantial houses, the occasional residences of some of the Limerick merchants, who have farms in the parish. Donoughmore is a prebend in the cathedral of Limerick, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £92. 6.1½. There is neither church, glebe-house, nor glebe. In the R. C.

divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also the parishes of Cahirnarry and Cahirnavalla; the chapel is a small thatched building nearly in the centre of the parish. There is a pay school of about 100 children. The ruins of the ancient parish church are extensive and venerably picturesque, consisting of the walls and gables, which are tolerably entire and covered with ivy; within the area are the tombs and monuments of the ancient families of Roche, Kelly, Connell, and Fitzgerald.

from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.

topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Donaghmore which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Donaghmore to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

Historical Geography

The civil parish of Donaghmore contained the following townlands:

topup