1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
In 1868, the parish of Doon contained the following places:
"DOON, a parish partly in the baronies of Coonagh and Owneybeg, in the county of Limerick, and partly in the barony of Upper Kilnamanagh, in the county of Tipperary, province of Munster, Ireland, 3 miles N.E. of Pallasgreen, its post town. The parish lies at the foot of the Slieve Phelim mountains. The surface is very boggy, and subject to floodings by the rivers Mulcairn and Dead. Freestone is quarried here and largely exported. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Emly, value £678, in the patronage of the bishop. The church was rebuilt by the late Board of First Fruits in 1800. In the burial-ground lies the notorious Robin Hood of Ireland, Emun-aknock, or Ned of the Hills. The parish contains a Roman Catholic chapel, three hedge-schools, and a police office. The seats are Toomaline House, occupying the site of a cell to Inchenemeo Abbey, of which there are yet traces; Castle Guard, formerly of the Desmonds; Bilboa House, and Glengare. Fairs were held at Bilboa on the 12th May and August."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018