1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
In 1868, the parish of Effin contained the following places:
"EFFIN, a parish in the barony of Coshlea, county Limerick, province of Munster, Ireland, 3 miles S.W. of Kilmalloch, its post town. It is situated on the road from thence to Charleville. The surface is hilly, but consists of good soil, affording excellent pasturage. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Limerick, value £254. The nearest church is at Kilmallock, that of Effin being in ruins. The Roman Catholic chapel is united to that of Kilbreadyminor. There are two hedge schools."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018