GLENOGRA, a parish, in the barony of Small-County, county of Limerick, and province of Munster, 3 miles (N. W.) from Bruff, on the road to Croom; containing 1278 inhabitants. The parish corwprises 4237 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, about a fourth of which, though very productive, is under an unimproved system of tillage; the remainder consists principally of dairy farms. There is a patent for fairs to be held on May 11th, and Oct. 28th. The seats of Cahir Guillamore and Rockbarton form the most interesting features in the parish; the former, standing in the midst of an extensive, fertile, and well planted deinesne, is the residence of the Hon. Lient. Col. O'Grady; and the latter is the splendid residence of his father, Viscount Guillamore who, having for several years presided as Chief Baron of the Exchrquer, was raised to the peerage in 1831, by the titles of Baron O'Grady, of Rockbarton, and Viscount Guillamore, of Cahir Guillamore.
It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Limerick, forming part. of the union of Fedanire; the rectory is appropriate to the vicars choral of Christ Church cathedral, Dublin. The tithes amount to £283, of v.hich the vicar has one-third, and two-thirds are paid to the lessce of the vicars choral. Five small glebes belong to this parish, comprising together 29½ acres: they were originally the endowments of ehantries eonnectedt with the abbey chruch founded here by the De Laeys. which at the Reformution contained nine amply endowrd chantries, and was governed by a prior. Four of the chantries can still be traced in the ruins of the church, which was u large cruciform building, and contained tombs of the De Lacys, Roehes, Bourkes, O'Gradys, and Fitzgeralds.
In the R.C. divisions the parish is included partly in the district of Drenin, but chietly in that of Bruff, and has a small chapel at Meanus. On the banks of the Commogae, and near the site of the abbey, arc the ruins of the castle of Glenorga. It is supposed to have been built in the 13th century by the Fitzharrises, or the De Lucys, and subsequently belonged to the Earl of Desmond, who was unsuccessfully besieged in it by Lord Thurles, in 1536; the latter, however, captured the castle of Lough Gur, commanded by the Earl's brother, which he repaired and garrisoned. Glenogra castle was a large pile of building, and some of its walls, cellars, and underground stairs are still moderately perfect.
In the demesne of Cahir are traces of some buildings which are supposed to be the ruins of an ancient city, and in their vicinity are remains of druidical structures.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Glenogra to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference R5891739543 (Lat/Lon: 52.506146, -8.60576), Glenogra which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
558917,639543and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)