1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
In 1868, the parish of Hospital contained the following places:
"HOSPITAL, a parish and small post town in the barony of Small County, county Limerick, province of Munster, Ireland, 5 miles E. of Bruff. It is situated on the eastern verge of the county, between the basins of the rivers Shannon and Suir. The soil is generally good. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Emly, value with Aney, £492, in the patronage of the crown. Here are a Roman Catholic chapel, and a hedge school This parish anciently formed part of Aney, and was the site of a commandery for Knights Hospitallers, founded by Geof. de Marisco, governor of Ireland in 1215. It was granted by Queen Elizabeth to Sir Valentine Brown, who erected upon its site Kenmare Castle, now in ruins. There are remains of the ancient church, with the tomb of a knight. The village contains a police station. Fairs are held on the 10th May, 9th July, 8th September, and 30th October."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018