Inch St. Lawrence
ISERTLAURENCE, or ISAINT-LAURENCE, a parish, in the barony of CLANWILLIAM, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 6 miles (S. E.) from Limerick, on the road to Cahirconlish; containing 1009 inhabitants. It comprises 1314 statute acres; the soil is indifferent, but fine limestone is obtained and basalt rises through it in several places to a considerable height. It is a vicarage, in the dioeese of Emly, forming part of the union of Ballybrood; the rectory forms the corps of the prebend of Isert-Laurence in the cathedral of Emly, and being held by the bishop gives him a seat in the chapter-house. The tithes amount to £138. 9. 2¾., of which £92. 6. 1¾. is payable to the bishop, as prebendary, and the remainder to the vicar.
In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Cahirconlish, and has a small chapel, near which is a burial-ground containing a well dedicated to St.
Laurence, which is much resorted to. About 110 children are educated in a national school adjoining the chapel. There are some remains of a fortress nt Seaghard, and the ruins of the castle of Grenane.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Inch St. Lawrence to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference R6643547597 (Lat/Lon: 52.579034, -8.495858), Inch St. Lawrence which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
566435,647597and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)