IVERUS, or IVEROSSA, a parish, in the barony of KENRY, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 3 miles (N.) from Askeaton, on the lower road to Limerick, and on the rivers Shannon and Deel; containing 1884 inhabitants. Its name is derived from Iverus, a Danish commander who sailed up the Shannon, in 824, with a powerful fleet, and after obtaining possession of Limerick founded a church here, on the.
spot where he had encamped at his debarkation. The parish comprises 2606 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: the land is very fertile, and in some places under an excellent system of cultivation. It is embellished with many elegant houses, the chief of which are Ballysteen, the residence of E. Westropp, Esq.; Miltown, of the Rev. A. Champagne; Ballynacourty, of T. E.
Davenport, Esq.; Castle View, of H. Ross, Esq.; and Beigh, of the Rev. G. Maxwell; besides many good farm-houses, around which are flourishing orchards.
The country around Miltown is peculiarly beautiful, being highly cultivated, well fenced, and adorned with cottages and lodges. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Limerick, forming part of the union of Askeaton; the rectory is impropriate in Sir M. Blackeston. The tithes amount to £240, of which £160 is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar. Divine service is regularly performed in the parochial school, which was erected in 1829, on an acre of land given by J. Waller, Esq., of Castletown, at the expense of the vicar, by whom it is chiefly supported. In the R. C. divisions also it is part of the union or district of Askeaton, and has a small chapel at Ballysteen. The ruins of the ancient church occupy an elevated site, and, with the exception of the roof, are nearly perfect. On the bank of the Shannon are the ruins of Beh or Beigh castle, and here are some Danish raths or forts in great perfection.
J JAMES'S (ST.), a parish, comprising the sea-port and post-town of Arthurstown, and the villages of Ballyhack, Duncannon, and Ramsgrange (each of which is described under its own head), in the barony of SHELBURNE, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER; and containing, with the ecclesiastical parishes of Dunbrody and Rathroe, 4122 inhabitants. It is situated on the eastern shore of Waterford harbour, and comprises 10,611 statute acres, chiefly in tillage: the soil is varied, and the state of agriculture haw been much improved. Limestone brought by lighters from Granny, in the county of Kilkenny, and slab and sea-weed from Waterford harbour, are used for manure. Near Arthurstown are quarries of good millstone grit. Dunbrody Park, the seat of Lord Templemore, and now occupied by his agent, Pelham Babington, Esq., is situated on a finely wooded eminence commanding an extensive and interesting view of the harbour and surrounding country, The living is an impropriate curacy, with those of Dunbrody and Rathroe annexed, and with the rectory of Killesk also united in augmentation; it is in the diocese of Ferns, and in the patronage of Lord Templemore, in whom the rectory is wholly impropriate; the tithes amount to £400. The church, a small plain building without tower or spire, is near Ballyhack; the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have granted £367 for its repair and improvement, which have been commenced. There is also a chapel for the garrison at Duneannon Fort, served by the curate of St. James's, who has quarters in the Fort. In the R. C divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Hook, or Templetown, and has a small chapel at Duneannon, and another at Ramsgrange, near which latter place there is a residence for the priest. The parochial school, at Arthurstown, and an infants' school at Duncannon, are supported by subscription, and there is another free school, in all which about 85 children are educated: and in nine other schools in the parish and those of Dunbrody and Rathroe are about 175 children; two of the latter schools are attached to the chapels and are under the superintendence of the R. C. clergyman.
On a promontory in Waterford harbour, forming the small bay of Neuk, are the ruins of Buttermilk castle, said to derive its name from the exaction of a toll on buttermilk by the monks of Dunbrody.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.