"KILBOLANE, a parish in the baronies of Orrery_and_Kilmore and Upper Connello, counties Cork and Limerick, province of Munster, Ireland, 2 miles S.W. of Charleville, its post town, containing the village of Millford. The parish is 3 miles long by 2 broad. The surface is varied, and consists of a middling soil. Some of the headstreams of the river Awbeg traverse the interior towards the S. The living is a curacy in the diocese of Cloyne, value with Knocktemple, £193, in the patronage of the bishop. Tho church was erected by local subscription in 1834. There are two Roman Catholic chapels, which are united to Knocktemple; also a National, and one or two other day schools. Kilbolane Castle, of which the ruins alone remain, is alleged to have been built, soon after the Anglo-Norman invasion, by the Cogan family."
Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868