KILCOLEMAN, a parish, in the Shanid Division of the barony of LOWER-CONNELLO, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 3½ miles (S. W.) from Shanagolden, on the road to Newcastle; containing 510 inhabitants.
It comprises 4310 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £1818. 4. 6. per annum; more than three-fourths of the land is rough mountain pasture, in some places occupied by loose fibrous turbary, and the remainder is under tillage. The system of agriculture is improved, and there is little waste land but what might be reclaimed at a trifling expense.
Great numbers of young cattle are reared in the mountain pastures. Limestone abounds, and the more elevated parts are of the coal formation. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Limerick, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the tithes amount to £70.
There is neither church nor glebe-house: the former was destroyed in the war of 1641, and has not been rebuilt; the glebe comprises 5½ acres. In the R. C.
divisions the parish forms part of the union of Coolcappagh; the chapel is a small modern edifice. Near it are the remains of Castle-Egney, consisting only of one slender square tower; and in the immediate neighbourhood are the remains of several others. About 40 children are taught in a private school.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.