1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
In 1868, the parish of Kilfinnane contained the following places:
"KILFINNANE, a parish, post and market town, in the barony of Coshlea, county Limerick, province of Munster, Ireland. 19 miles S. of Limerick, and 146 from Dublin. The parish is 3 miles square. The southern division consists of that part of the Galtee mountains called the Castle Oliver hills. The remaining parts of the surface consist generally of fertile lands. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Limerick, value with another, £241. The church is a commodious structure, re-erected in 1760. There is a Roman Catholic chapel united to that of Ardpatrick. There are a National and two daily schools. Spa Hill is the principal residence. The parish is traversed by the road from Kilmallock to Fermoy, upon which stands the village. It contains a market house, court-house, bridewell, fever hospital, and a dispensary within the Kilmallock Poor-law Union. There is a police station, and petty sessions are held once a fortnight. In 1740 several palatine families removed here from Rathkeale. Some of the inhabitants find occupation in cotton and linen weaving. Adjacent to the church are the ruins of a castle built by the Roche family; also of another called Castle Oliver. In the parish are a rath, three forts, and a curious cave. The Danes Fort is situated outside the town, and consists of a mound 50 feet in diameter at the base, with some ramparts. There is a chalybeate spring to the E. of the town. Sandstone, lime, and iron occur. Tuesday is market day. Fairs are held on the 19th May, 9th August, and 25th October."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018