A great portion of the waste has been brought into cultivation, and at the head of Glenroe is a large tract of land equal to any in the barony for fertility.
The principal mountains are Kilcruig and Coolfrie, or Houndscourt. Slate of good quality is quarried in the immediate neighbourhood. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Limerick, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £160. The church, a neat edifice with a square tower, was built in 1812. The glebe-house is a handsome residence; and the glebe comprises 16 acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Glenroe; the chapel, situated in the village of Ballyorgan, is a small thatched building. The parochial schools are endowed with an acre of the glebe, and are aided by the incumbent; and there is a private school, in which are about 30 children. There are remains of a Trinitarian monastery founded by St. Finian about the year 547, and rebuilt in 1296 by the Fitzgeralds, whose property in this parish now belongs to the Provost and Fellows of Trinity College, Dublin. A considerable portion of the building fell down in 1835, having been undermined by the peasantry in digging for treasure supposed to have been deposited there.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kilflyn to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference R6910218105 (Lat/Lon: 52.314175, -8.45379), Kilflyn which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
569102,618105and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)