1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
In 1868, the parish of Killeedy contained the following places:
"KILLEEDY, a parish in the barony of Glenquin, county Limerick, province of Munster, Ireland, 7 miles S. of Newcastle. Ashford is its post town. The parish is 10 miles long by 5 broad. It is watered by a stream falling into the river Feale. The greater part of the surface consists of mountain, moorland, and bog. The living is a rectory and vicarage in the diocese of Limerick, value £424, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, erected in 1817, was destroyed by fire in 1822. There are two Roman Catholic chapels, and a private Roman Catholic meeting-house, in this parish; also six day schools. Glenquin Castle was founded in 1462, and surrendered to Sir W. Raleigh."
"ASHFORD, a hamlet in the parish of Killeedy, barony of Glenquin, in the county of Limerick, province of Munster, Ireland, 6 miles to the S. of Newcastle."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018