1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
In 1868, the parish of Killonahan contained the following places:
"KILLONAHAN, (or Killonoghan, or Killelonehan), a parish in the baronies of Coshma and Pubblebrien, county Limerick, province of Munster, Ireland, containing part of the village of St. Patrick's Well. Drumcollogher is its post town. The parish is 3 miles long, and its greatest breadth is about 1 mile. The soil is generally good. The Great Southern and Western railway passes in the vicinity. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Limerick, value £30. The church is a small modern edifice. There are two or three day schools. Athyflyn is the principal residence. There are ruins of the old church, and of a castle of the O'Hurleys. Limestone is abundant.
"ST. PATRICKSWELL, a post-office village in the parishes of Kilkeedy, Killonahan, and Mungret, in the barony of Pubblebrien, county Limerick, province of Munster, Ireland, 5 miles S.W. of Limerick, and 124 from Dublin. It is a station on the Great Southern and Western railway. It is situated on an affluent of the river Maigue, and on the road from Limerick to Tralee. It is a long and straggling village, containing a police station and a dispensary, which last is within the Limerick poor-law union. Petty sessions are held in the village. There are several seats in the vicinity. The well which gives name to the place is said to have been dedicated to St. Patrick. Fairs are held on 26th February, 28th May, 16th June, 14th and 20th October, and 18th December.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018