LISTEELY, or KILTEELY, a parish, partly in the baronies of CLANWILLIAM and SMALL-COUNTY, but chiefly in that of COONAGH, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 3 miles (S. W.) from Pallas- Greine, on the road to Bruff; containing 2128 inhabitants.
This parish comprises 1949 statute acres, as applotted tinder the tithe act; the land is in general good and chiefly in tillage; the substratum is limestone, occasionally alternating with basalt, which latter in several parts rises to the surface; the system of agriculture is improving. Fairs, chiefly for horned cattle and pigs, are held in the village of Kilteely on Feb. lst, June lst, and Oct. 25th; and there is a constabulary police station. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Emly, forming part of the union of Ballybrood and corps of the precentorship of the cathedral of Emly; the tithes amount to £284. 6. 2. The church is a ruin.
In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, called Kilteely, comprising also the parish of Liscormuck and part of Dromkeen; and containing two chapels, one in Listeely, the other in Dromkeen; the former, in the village of Kilteely, is a large cruciform edifice, erected in 1816, and has a painting of the crucifixion over the altar. Adjacent to it are two national schools, erected at the expense of the Rev. E. Walsh, P.P.; and there are two private schools, in which are about 160 children. On an eminence near the village are some remains of the church of Kildromin, founded by the Knights Templars in 1291.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.