KNOCKNEGAUL, a parish, partly in the barony of PUBBLEBRIEN, county of LIMERICK, and partly in the county of the city of LIMERICK, province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (S.) from Limerick, on the road to Fedamore; containing 1381 inhabitants. This parish comprises 2097 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; the land is in general good, and the system of agriculture improving; the fences are, however, but very indifferent, consisting of low walls of loose stones, except in the neighbourhood of Leamonfield, where the country is exceedingly interesting. The principal seats are Leamonfield, that of H. Bevan, Esq.; and Ballyclough, of E. Moroney, Esq., both pleasantly situated and commanding some finely varied scenery. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Limerick; the rectory forms part of the union of Nantinan and the corps of the precentorship, and the vicarage, part of the union and corps of the prebend of Kilpeacon in the cathedral of Limerick. The tithes amount to £230. 15.4½., of which £154. 16. 10 is payable to the precentor, and the remainder to the vicar. The glebe-house is a handsome residence, and the glebe comprises 11 acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish is part of the union or district of Loughmore. The ruins of the ancient church, which was destroyed during the war of 1641, are close to the glebe-house.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.