LUDDENBEG, or LUDDON, a parish, in the barony of CLASHWILLIAM, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 5½ miles (S. E. by S.) from Limerick, on the old road to Cahirconlish; containing 837 inhabitants.
It comprises 1183 statute acres of good land, as applotted under the tithe act, of which about onehalf is in tillage: the substratum consists chiefly of a mixture of basalt and limestone. It is in the diocese of Emly: the rectory is impropriate in Viscount Southwell, and the vicarage forms part of the union of Cahirconlish. The tithes amount to £124, of which £70 is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar. At Isertlaurence is a good glebe of 9 acres, and at Luddenbeg is another of 4½ acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Ballybricken, and has a small chapel at Bohermore. At the foot of a gentle eminence are the ruins of the old church, by some writers called an abbey, on the walls of which are some figures rudely sculptured in bas relief; and a little to the south stood the castle of Luddenmore, a strong fortress, of which scarcely a vestige can be traced.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.