MORGANS, a parish, in the Shanid Division of the barony of LOWER-CONNELLO, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (W.) from Askeaton, on the road from Limerick to Tarbert; containing 470 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the southern bank of the Shannon, comprises 1847 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; the land is generally fertile, but, being much subdivided into small holdings, is badly cultivated; yet it produces good corn and potatoe crops, and some of the low lands afford excellent pasture. In the Shannon are several islands; and near the banks of the river is Mount Pleasant, the residence of Mrs. Sandes. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Limerick, forming part of the union of Nantinan, and of the corps of the precentorship of Limerick; the rectory is appropriate to the vicars choral of Limerick.
The tithes amount to £54, of which £36 is payable to the lessees of the appropriators, and £18 to the vicar.
In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Shanagolden. There are extensive ruins of the old parish church, called Templemuireguiedan, originally erected by the Knights Templars, and rebuilt by the Franciscan monks of Askeaton, in 1496.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.