1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
In 1868, the parish of Newcastle contained the following places:
"NEWCASTLE, a parish in the baronies of Shanid and Glenquin, county Limerick, province of Munster, Ireland, containing part of the post town of Newcastle, also the village of Churchtown. The parish is 3 miles long by 2 broad. The surface consists of a portion of the valley of the Deel river. The roads from Limerick to Tralee and from Tarbert to Mallow intersect the parish. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Limerick, value with another, £717. The church was erected by the late Lord Courtenay. There is a Roman Catholic chapel and several day schools. Courtenay and Springfield Castles are residences of the Earl of Devon and Lord Muskerry."
"CHURCHTOWN, a village in the parish of Newcastle, in the barony of Glenquin, in the county of Limerick, province of Munster, Ireland."
"NEWCASTLE, a post and market town in the parishes of Newcastle and Monagay, in the barony of Glenquin, county Limerick, province of Munster, Ireland, 7 miles E. of Shanagolden, and 114 S.W. by W. of Dublin. It is situated about 1 mile W. of the river Deel, on a small tributary to that river. It contains a church, Roman Catholic chapel, market-house, and barracks; also the union poorhouse, a fever hospital, and a dispensary. The Newcastle Poor-law Union lies wholly within the county of Limerick. Fairs are held on 1st April, 3rd May, 12th July, 20th August, 1st October, and 16th December."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018