TANKARDSTOWN, or BALLYTANKARD, a parish, in the barony of COSHMA, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 2 miles (S. W.) from Kilmallock, on the road to Bruree; containing 523 inhabitants.
It comprises 1671 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: the land, which is remarkably good, rests on a substratum of limestone; there are some large dairy farms, but the land is in general much subdivided. Turbary being scarce in this district, cow dung, dried and stacked like turf, is generally used as fuel by the peasantry. Within the limits of the parish is Knocksowney, which rises to a considerable height, and forms a conspicuous object in the vicinity: the land around it is very fertile. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Limerick, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £125.
In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Kilmallock. About 30 children are educated in a private school. The church has long been in ruins: within the walls near the west end is a flourishing ash tree, and where the altar stood are a fine yew and chesnut tree.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Tankardstown to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference R5750628829 (Lat/Lon: 52.40977, -8.625169), Tankardstown which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
557506,628829and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)