DRQMDEELY, or TOMDEELY, a parish, in the barony of LOWER-CONNELLO-EAST, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 1½ mile (W.by S.) from Askeaton, on the south bank of the Shannon; containing 430 inhabitants. It comprises 1275 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: the land, which is nearly all arable, is generally light and much intermingled with limestone. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Limerick, and in the gift of the Precentor of St. Mary's cathedral, Limerick; the rectory forms part of the union of Nantinan, and the corps of the precentorship: the tithes amount to £75, of which £50 is payable to the precentor, and £25 to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions, the parish forms part of the union or district of Askeaton. Several islands in the Shannon belong to it; the largest is Greenish (which see), containing 45 acres.
There are ruins of the old church, and, not far distant, of Dromdeely castle, a small square tower built by the Mahonys, and which, since the final expulsion of the Geraldines in 1580, has been gradually falling into decay.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.