TOUGH, or TUORAGH, a parish, in the barony of OWNEYBEG, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 9 miles (S. E.) from Limerick, on the little river Mulcairn, or Mulchairj containing 3534 inhabitants.
This parish comprises 1728 statute acres of land, some of which is very fertile, some indifferent, and some bog: it is partly under a tolerable system of cultivation, but generally the holdings are small and the inhabitants very poor. At Drumsally there is an extensive tract of turbary, around which stand a great number of wretched cabins. Fairs are held at the village of Cappamore, which see. Near the river is Tower Hill, a fine house and demesne, the residence of W. Lloyd, Esq. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Emly, forming part of the union of Abington; the tithes amount to £250. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, called Cappamore, comprising this parish and those of Clonkeen, Abington, and part of Doon: the chapel is a large plain edifice in the village.
Here are parochial schools, and a school at Tower Hill; also four private schools, in which are about ISO children. Not far from Tower Hill are the ruins of the old church.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Tuogh to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference R7627552495 (Lat/Lon: 52.623568, -8.351054), Tuogh which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
576275,652495and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)