BARONSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of UPPER-DUNDALK, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (W.N. w.) from Dundalk; containing 1012 inhabitants.
It is situated on the turnpike road from Dundalk, by Castle-Blayney, to Monaghan, and comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 2208½ statute acres. The lands are nearly all arable and pasture; the soil is fertile, and the system of agriculture has been greatly improved; there is very little waste land, and not more bog than is sufficient to supply the inhabitants with fuel. Derefalone, the seat of G. McGusty, Esq., is in this parish. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Armagh, with the curacies of Philipstown-Nugent, Kene, and Roche, united by act of council in 1785, forming the union of Baronstown, in the patronage of the Lord-Primate for three turns, and of the Dean and Chapter of Christ-Church, Dublin, for one: the tithes amount to £219. 10. ll½., and of the entire benefice to £414. 7. 9½. The church of the union, a neat edifice with a tower, and in good repair, is situated on an eminence at Philipstown-Nugent, nearly in the centre of the union; and almost adjoining it is the glebe-house, to which are attached 17 acres of profitable land. In the R. C. divisions the parish is partly united with Philipstown- Nugent and Dunbin, forming the union or district of Baronstown, and partly included in that of Haggardstown; the chapel, called the chapel of Kilcurly, is close on the confines of this parish and of that of Dunbin.
There is a school at Kilcurly of about 80 boys and 40 girls. At BelroTbin was an ancient castle, formerly the residence of a branch of the Bellew family; its site is now occupied by the residence and offices of Mr. Owen McKone, one of the most extensive occupiers of land in the county. There is also a rath or ancient fort at the same place, which has been planted, and another on the townland of Milltown.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Barronstown to another place.
See the parish page on logainm.ie (The Placenames Database of Ireland)
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference H9760209462 (Lat/Lon: 54.025218, -6.511459), Barronstown which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
697602,809462and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)