CLONKEEN, a parish, in the barony of ARDEE, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (N. W.) from Ardee, on the road to Monaghan; con taining 1981 inhabitants. It comprises 4321½ statute acres, according to the Ordnance survey, valued at £4582 per annum: the soil is fertile, and the land is mostly under cultivation; the system of agriculture is in a highly improved state. There are some quarries of greenstone, which is raised for building and for repairing the roads. The principal seats are Rogerstown, the residence of Miss Young; Cardistawn, of J. Caraher, Esq.; Glach, of R. Shegog, Esq.; and Cromartin, belonging to the Clement family.
The living is a rectory and vicarage in the diocese of Armagh, and in the patronage of the Lord-Primate: the tithes amount to £300. The glebe-house is a good residence, built by the present rector, the Rev. W. Lee, and has attached to it 12a. Ir. I7p. of glebe. The church is an ancient structure, and contains a neat monument to the Caraher family. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Tallanstown. There are two hedge schools, in which are about 80 boys and 30 girls. Near Lagan bridge are the ruins of an ancient castle.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Clonkeen to another place.
See the parish page on logainm.ie (The Placenames Database of Ireland)
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference N8950994355 (Lat/Lon: 53.891005, -6.639336), Clonkeen which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
689509,794355and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)