CLONMORE, a parish, in the barony of FERRARD, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 2½ miles (E. by N.) from Dunleer; containing 769 inhabitants, of which number, 74 are in the hamlet. It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 1905 statute acres, two-thirds of which are under tillage. The land is of superior quality and highly cultivated, producing excellent crops of wheat and barley; the farms and farm-houses are of a superior description. There is a constabulary police station in the hamlet. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Armagh, and in the patronage of the Lord-Primate. The tithes amount to £170. The glebe-house, which is a handsome building, was erected in 1782, on a glebe of 17 acres. The church is a small but handsome edifice, built in 1794, at the sole expense of Primate Robinson. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Dysart, and has a chapel at Wyanstown. There is a parochial school, established and supported by the rector, in which about 20 children are educated. Here are the ruins of a castle, said to have been the residence of the De Verduns, also the walls of an ancient church, where a patron is held annually on the 9th of June, in honour of St. Columbkill, the reputed founder.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Clonmore to another place.
See the parish page on logainm.ie (The Placenames Database of Ireland)
The entry for Clonmore from Griffiths Valuation 1847/64
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference O1151088766 (Lat/Lon: 53.836555, -6.306876), Clonmore which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
711510,788766and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)