1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
In 1868, the parish of Creggan contained the following places:
"CREGGAN, a parish and small village in the baronies of Upper Fews and Upper Dundalk, in the counties of Armagh and Louth, province of Leinster, Ireland. Crossmaglen is its post town. The parish is bisected by the Creggan rivulet, and the road from Dundalk to Newtown-Hamilton. It is mountainous, boggy, and wild, but has a soil of general good quality. There are slate and granite quarries. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Armagh, value £1,087. The church, which was built in 1758, is situated in the middle of the parish. It is a handsome structure, surmounted by a square tower. Creggan forms the head of the Roman Catholic union of Upper and Lower Creggan, and has chapels at Glasdrummond, Crossmaglen, Mowbane, and Shela. The latter district is united to the parish of Newtown-Hamilton, and has two chapels in that parish. Here are places of worship for Wesleyan Methodists and Presbyterians. There are several day schools, two of which are used as chapels-of-ease."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018