DRUMCAR, a parish, in the barony of Ardee, county of Louth, and province of Leinster, 1½ mile (N. by E.) from Dunleer, on the river Glyde, and near the high road from Dublin to Belfast; containing 1634 inhabitants. It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 4041½ statute acres, of which, 3712 are applotted under the tithe act, and 18½ are in the river Glyde. The soil is fertile and the lands are mostly under tillage; the system of agriculture is in a highly improved state; there is neither waste land nor bog.
Two streams, abounding with salmon and trout, unite at a bridge, and form what is thence called the river of Drumcar. Drumcar, the seat of J. McClintock, Esq., is an elegant mansion, beautifully situated in an extensive and richly wooded demesne, commanding a fine view of the Carlingford and Mourne mountains and the sea; and at Annagasson is the residence of R. Thompson, Esq., pleasantly situated on the sea shore. Petty sessions are held every fortnight, near the seat of Drumcar. The parish is in the diocese of Armagh; the rectory is impropriate in the Lord-Primate, having been purchased by Primate Marsh, for the endowment of such clergyman as his lordship may appoint to it, and subject to the payment of £50 per annum to the perpetual curate of Moylary under certain provisions of the testator's will. The vicarage forms part of the union of Dunleer. The tithes amount to £343, of which £292 is payable to the lord-primate and £51 to the vicar; the glebe comprises 11 acres. The ruins of the parish church form an interesting relic on the demesne of Mr. McClintock; the Protestant parishioners attend the church at Dunleer, and divine service is performed every Sunday evening by the curate in the school-room at Drumcar; the old churchyard is still used as a burial ground. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Dysart: there is no regular chapel, but a house has been given to the priest, in which he officiates. A school is supported by Mr.
and Lady McClintock, who pay a master for teaching more than 100 children, and other expenses, amounting to £50 per annum. A school is also supported by Mr.
Thompson, in which 40 children are instructed. A religious house appears to have existed here at a very early period.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Drumcar to another place.
See the parish page on logainm.ie (The Placenames Database of Ireland)
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference O0667990748 (Lat/Lon: 53.855362, -6.379538), Drumcar which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
706679,790748and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)