In 1868, the parish of Drumcar contained the following places:
"DRUMCAR, a parish in the barony of Ardee, in the county of Louth, province of Leinster, Ireland, 2 miles N.E. of Dunleer, its post town. It is situated on the river Glyde, and contains the village of Annagasson. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Armagh, value £250, in the patronage of the primate. The church is an interesting ruin. In the Roman Catholic arrangement the parish forms part of the union of Dysart. There are two schools, one supported by the M'Clintocks, and another by Mr. Thompson. Petty sessions are occasionally held here. An abbey is alleged to have existed in the early part of the ninth century. The river, which here becomes confluent with the Dee, is well stocked with salmon. Drumcar House is the seat of the M'Clintock family."
"ANNAGASSAN, a village in the parish of Drumcar, barony of Ardee, in the county of Louth, and province of Leinster, Ireland, 8 miles to the S. of Dundalk. It stands in a very pleasant situation, on the shore of Dundalk Bay, at the mouth of the rivers Glyde and Dee. There are large corn-mills the property of Robert Thompson, Esq., who is lord of the manor, and resides at Annagassan House. A handsome bride crosses the Glyde, which has abundance of salmon and trout. Fairs are held on the 17th March, the 7th May, the 22nd July, and the 8th November."