1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
In 1868, the parish of Drumshallon contained the following places:
"DRUMSHALLON, a parish in the barony of Ferrard, in the county of Louth, province of Leinster, Ireland, 4 miles N.E. of Drogheda. It is situated on the sea-coast near the road from Dublin to Belfast. There is no living. The nearest church is at Ballymakenny. The Roman Catholic chapel is united to that of Tynure. The abbey, founded by St. Patrick, was presided over by Tiernach, who died in 876. It was pillaged by Oilach, son of Donnell, King of Ireland. Here was a priory, which subsequently became a cell to Christ Church, Dublin."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018