DUNANY, a parish, in the barony of FERRARD, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 5 miles.
(E. N. E) from Dunleer; containing 571 inhabitants.
This parish, which is situated on the eastern coast, contains, according to the Ordnance survey, 1661¾ statute acres, chiefly under tillage, Dunany House, the residence of Lady Bellingham, is surrounded by an extensive and finely-planted demesne, and commands, fine view of the- sea and the Carlingford mountains. Dunany Point is distinguished at sea by the church, which stands on the summit of the rising ground. at the Point is a chief station of the coast-guard. The parish is in the diocese of Armagh, the vicarage was united in the 18th century to those of Parsonstown, Marlins-.
town, and Salterstown, and is in the patronage of the Marquess of Drogheda; the rectory is: impropriate in Lady Bellingham. The tithes amount to £154. 0. 8., of which £90. 16, 8½. is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar; and the tithes, of the entire benefice amount to £111.18.10¼, The church, which is in excellent repair, was built in 1814, and the glebehouse about the same period, by aid of a gift of £400 and a loan of £364 from the late Board of First Fruits; the glebe comprises 20 acres, valued at £27 per annum.
In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Dysart. About 20 children are educated in a private school.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.