DUNBYN, a parish, in the barony of UPPER-DUNDALK, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 3¼ miles (N. W.) from Lurgan-Green, on the road from Dundalk to Carrickmacross; containing 969 inhabitants.
According to the Ordnance survey it comprises 2l69¼ statute acres, of which 1942 are applotted under the tithe act. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Armagh: the tithes amount to £200, and are sequestrated in the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, who pay the curate of an adjoining parish for the discharge of the occasional duties. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Baronstown, and has a chapel at Kilcurly.
There is a public school, in which about 150 children are educated.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.