In 1868, the parish of Haggardstown contained the following places:
"HAGGARDSTOWN, a parish in the barony of Upper Dundalk, county Louth, province of Munster, Ireland, 2 miles S.S.E. of the town of Dundalk, its post town. It is situated at the head of Dundalk Bay, adjacent to the river Fane, and contains the village of Blackrock. The surface is low and flat. This parish is an impropriate rectory in the patronage of the primate, value £48. There is no church, but a licensed school-house. The Roman Catholic chapel is united to that of Bridge-of-Erin. Clermont Park is an extensive demesne in the S.W. of the parish."
"BLACKROCK, a village in the parish of Haggardstown, barony of Upper Dundalk, in the county of Louth, province of Leinster, Ireland, 2 miles to the S.E. of Dundalk. It is seated on the bay of Dundalk, and is resorted to as a watering-place. It has a good beach."