MANFIELDSTOWN, or MOUNTFIELDSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of LOUTH, and county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 2½ miles (W.) from Castle-Bellingham, on the river Glyde; containing 1061 inhabitants, of which number, 182 are in the village. According to the Ordnance survey, it comprises 2417¾ statute acres, in general of excellent quality, and nearly aH under tillage: there are about 50 acres of bog; the system of agriculture has much improved. The village, which is neat, consists of 28 houses. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Armagh, and in the patronage of the Lord-Primate: the tithes amount to £271.9. 8½.; and the gross revenue of the benefice, tithes and glebe inclusive, is £283. 9. 8½. The glebe comprises two acres, on which some cabins have been built, forming part of the village. The church is a very ancient structure in good repair. There is a R, C. chapel, and a parochial school, in which about 40 boys and 10 girls are taught; the master receives £10 per annum from the incumbent.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The Wikipedia entry for Mansfieldstown.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Mansfieldstown to another place.
See the parish page on logainm.ie (The Placenames Database of Ireland)
The entry for Mansfieldstown from Griffiths Valuation 1847/64
Tithe Applotment Books 1823/37 for this parish on TNAI
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference O0142095789 (Lat/Lon: 53.90169, -6.457772), Mansfieldstown which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
701420,795789and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)