MAPASTOWN, or MAPLESTOWN, a parish, in the barony of ARDEE, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 2½ miles (N. N. E.) from Ardee, on the road to Dundalk; containing 458 inhabitants. This parish, which is the estate of Charles Cobbe, Esq., of Newbridge, county of Dublin, is situated on the river Glyde, which is crossed by a bridge, and comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 1446¼ statute acres of good arable and pasture land: the system of agriculture is rapidly improving. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Armagh, forming part of the union of Charlestown or Philipstown; the rectory is impropriate in the Hon. Baron Foster. The tithes amount to £107. 19.2., of which £9. 13. is paid to the vicar, and the remainder to the impropriator. The church is in ruins. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Ardee.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.