MARLINSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of FERRARD, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 1½ mile (S. E.) from Dunleer, on the coast road from Drogheda to Dundalk; containing 202 inhabitants. It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 758¾ statute acres, the greater portion of which is under tillage, and the remainder affords excellent pasture; the soil is fertile, the system of agriculture improved, and the lands are all in a state of profitable cultivation. The surrounding scenery is pleasingly varied; and in the parish is Rokeby Hall, the property of Sir Richard Robinson, Bart., now in the occupation of the Count de Salis, a spacious mansion, situated in a well-planted demesne commanding some very interesting views; the house contains a fine collection of paintings by some of the old masters. The parish is in the diocese of Armagh; it is a vicarage, forming part of the union of Dunany; the rectory is impropriate in - Hall, Esq, The tithes amount to £70. 9. 1., of which £40. 19. 2 is payable to the impropriator, and £29. 9. 11. to the vicar. About 60 children are taught in a private school.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.