The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
In 1868, the parish of Miscellaneous contained the following places:
"ARDEE BARONY, one of the six baronies of the county of Louth, in the province of Leinster, Ireland, is bounded on the N. by the county of Monaghan and the barony of Louth, on the E. by the bay of Dundalk and the barony of Ferrard, on the S. by the barony of Ferrard, and on the W. by the county of Meath It contains the parishes of Ardee, Cappoge, Charlestown, Clonkeen, Dronim, Drumcar, Gernonstown, Kildemock, Kilsaran, Mapastown, Mosstown, Philipstown, Richardstown, Shanlis, Smarmore, Stabanman, Stickellin, and Tallanstown, with part of Killanny and Louth."
"BOYNE, a river in Ireland, which takes its rise in the bog of Allen, near Carbury, in the county of Kildare, and, pursuing a north-easterly course, crosses the county of Meath, dividing it into nearly equal parts touches upon the county of Louth, and enters the Irish Channel, 4 miles below Drogheda. Its length is about 65 miles, and it has a total fall of nearly 240 feet. The principal towns on its banks are Clonard (where it enters Meath), Trim, Navan, Slane, and Drogheda. It has many tributary streams, of which the most important are the Deel, a river of:West Meath, meeting it below. Clonard, and the Blackwater, running down from Cavan through Meath, and joining it at Navan. It is navigable as high up as Slane, and from thence, by means of a canal, to Navan. The construction of the railway from Drogheda to Navan has diminished the carriage by the canal. Coals, corn, and timber are the chief goods conveyed. The navigation of the river is much impeded by the bar at its mouth, where the water is only from 2 to 9 feet deep. Three lighthouses are erected there of different elevations, from 28 to 40 feet. Along the banks of the Boyne, especially in the county of Meath, there is much fine scenery, the charm of which is heightened by the presence of numerous remains of antiquity, monastic and military. As Ireland itself has been named "Isle of Saints," so this river, from the number of ancient religious houses near it, centres once of light and knowledge, has acquired the designation of the "Boyne of Science." The Boyne has acquired historic interest and importance from the battle, so memorable in its relation to English freedom, fought on its banks on the 1st July, 1690, between the English, led by their chosen liberator and king, William Ill., and the Irish under James II. The scene of the decisive conflict was at Oldbridge, 3 miles above Drogheda, then the site of a ford, but anciently of abridge. A memorial pillar, erected in 1736, stands on the north bank of the river, opposite the ford. It is 150 feet high, and covers the spot where Schomberg is said to have fallen. In the 9th century a body of Northmen sailed up this river and ravaged the neighbouring country."
"COOLEY-HEAD, a promontory in the barony of Dundalk, in the county of Louth, province of Leinster, Ireland. It is situated on the N. of the opening to Dundalk Bay."
"DROGHEDA, comprises the parishes of St. Peter and St. Mary; is a market town, municipal and parliamentary borough, exercising separate jurisdiction, but locally situated in the counties of Louth and Meath, in the province of Leinster, Ireland, 26 miles N. of Dublin, with which city it is connected by railway. It comprises an area of 5,780 acres, extending along both banks of the Boyne, about 4 miles from its embouchure into the Irish Sea. This place is supposed to have derived its name from Droighad Atha, signifying in the Irish language "a bridge," from the erection of a bridge over the Boyne. At a very early period a monastery was founded here for canons of the order of St. Augustine. In 1229 and 1247 Henry III. granted charters conferring on the town the same privileges as Dublin; and thirty years later the burgesses of Drogheda were empowered to elect a mayor, to exercise exclusive jurisdiction. This town was always considered, in municipal privileges and political importance, as on an equality with Dublin, Waterford, Cork, and Limerick; and some of the most remarkable parliaments assembled by the lords-deputies were held here.
The two boroughs, situated on the opposite banks of the river, were separately governed under their respective charters, until the time of Henry IV., who, in 1412, united both boroughs under one corporation, and erected the town and suburbs into a county of itself. This was done to prevent the dissensions which were continually occurring between the two corporations; and since then the united borough has been governed by a mayor, 2 sheriffs, 23 aldermen, common councilmen, and other officers. In 1641 it was besieged by Sir Phelim O'Nial, but ineffectually; and in 1649 Cromwell, on landing at Dublin, marched against the town, which, after a vigorous resistance, was forced to succumb, when the whole garrison was put to the sword. In the revolutionary war the town was garrisoned by the forces of James II., and in its immediate vicinity the battle of the Boyne was fought on the 30th June, 1609. The town then fell into the hands of William III. Drogheda is advantageously situated on the great N. road from Dublin to Belfast. The river Boyne divides the town in two unequal portions. The streets are regular, and the houses well built; especially those in the chief street and on the quay. The town returns one member to parliament. The assizes, quarter sessions, and petty sessions are held here. The principal public buildings are three Protestant churches, two Roman Catholic chapels, one of which is the cathedral of the diocese of Armagh; three friaries, four nunneries, the mansion-house, an endowed school, town prison, linen hall, custom-house, inland revenue office, corn-market, savings-bank, and infantry barracks-The town has been divided into three wards-Westgate, Fairgate, and Lawrencegate; the rural portion into baronies, and transferred to the adjoining counties: the portion N. of the Boyne to Louth, and S. to Meath. The chief manufactures are coarse linen, leather, soap, and candles. There are also several iron foundries, salt-works, breweries, and corn-mills. The port carries on a very extensive trade with Liverpool, Canada, and Nova Scotia. Its exports are corn, linen, cattle, butter, cloth, &c. The harbour is very advantageous for commerce, enabling vessels of 400 tons to moor; and at its entrance are three lighthouses. The inland trade is greatly facilitated by the Boyne navigation to Navan. The town comprises the parishes of St. Peter, St. Mary, and part of that of Ballymakenny. The living of each is a vicarage The Roman Catholic parish of St. Peter is coextensive with that of the Established Church; St. Mary's comprises the parishes of Colpe and Kilsharvan. There are places of worship for Presbyterians and Wesleyan Methodists. Here are three friaries, dedicated respectively to St. Francis, St. Augustine, and St. Dominick; and also two nunneries, both devoted to religious instruction. There are here also one of the classical schools under the trustees of Erasmus Smith, an institution for the widows of Protestant clergymen, an almshouse called the Poorhouse of St. John, and an infirmary. The religious foundations of this place were anciently very numerous, and of several there are still some remains. On the N. side of the river are those of the Augustinian priory supposed to have been founded by St. Patrick. Near the town is a stone called Clough Patrick, or St. Patrick's Stone. Some remains of the old church of St. Mary and of the Dominican abbey are still existing. Various remains of earthworks and traces of military operations are still to be seen at several of the stations occupied by Cromwell. Of the ancient walls, beyond which the present town extends, the most curious and perfect portion is the gate of St. Lawrence. Fairs are held every other month, and markets on Thursday and Saturday."
"DUNDALK, (Lower and Upper) two baronies in the county of Louth, province of Leinster, Ireland, bounded on the N. by the county of Armagh, on the N.E. by Carlingford Bay, on the S. by Dundalk Bay, and on the W. by the county of Monaghan. Lower Dundalk contains the parishes of Ballyboys, Carlingford, and part of the parishes of Ballymascanlan and Castletown, and comprises 38,046 acres. The towns and villages are Carlingford, Bellagan, Ballmamaghery, Rathcor, and Whitestown. Upper Dundalk contains the parishes of Barronstown, Ballybarrack, Dundalk, Dunbin, Faughart, Haynestown, Haggardstown, Mine, Roch, Philipstown, and parts of Creggan, Inishkeen, and Louth, comprising 30,360 acres. The barony includes a considerable mountain range, and is traversed by the rivers Fane and Castletown.
"FANE, a river in the counties of Armagh and Monaghan, province of Ulster, and in the county of Louth, province of Leinster, Ireland. It rises in Monaghan and Armagh, and after a course of 20 miles, in which it augments its waters from Lough Muckno and other lakes, empties itself into Dundalk Bay, near Lurgan Green. Fane Valley is a beautiful demesne about 4 miles from the river's embouchure."
"FERRARD, a barony in the county Louth, province of Leinster, Ireland. It is bounded by the barony of Ardee on the N., by the sea on the E., and by the county of Meath on the S. and W. Its area is 49,213 acres. It is drained by the river Boyne and a tributary to that river on the S. and W., and by the White river on the N. The surface is gently hilly, and consists of a good medium soil. It contains the parishes of Beaulieu, Clogher, Clonmore, Carrickbaggot, Dunany, Drumshallon, Dysart, Dunleer, Mayne, Marlestown, Mullary, Monasterboice, Parsonstown, Port, Philipstown, Rathdrumin, Salterstown, Termonfeckin, and parts of Tullyallen, Callon, and Ballymakenny."
"LOUTH, a barony in county Louth, province of Leinster, Ireland. It is 8 miles long, and its average breadth is 3. It is situated on the sea-coast, and the other sides are environed by the baronies of Upper Dundalk and Ardee, and by the county of Monaghan. It contains the parishes of Clonkeehan, Darver, Dromiskin, Killincooley. Mansfieldtown, and parts of Iniskeen and Louth."
"MATTOCK, a feeder of the river Boyne, rises near Newtown Monasterboice, county Louth, Ireland."
"MELLIFONT, a locality on the border of the barony of Ferrard, county Louth, province of Leinster, Ireland, 3 miles S.S.E. of Collon. It is situated on the river Mattock, and is the site of a celebrated abbey, the most ancient Cistercian establishment in Ireland. The pile now forms an extensive and interesting ruin. This abbey was founded in 1142 by Donough O'Carroll, Prince of Uriel, who was buried within its precincts. It became the seat for many generations of the Moore family. In 1157 a synod was held within the abbey. Among some of the points of attraction are St. Bernard's chapel, a Norman portal, fine carvings, baptistery, with Saxon windows, &c. The place is now the seat of the Marquis of Drogheda, from which he takes the title of baron. Mr. Armstrong of Raheny published an excellent description of these ruins."
"WHITE RIVER, a stream of county Louth, Ireland. It rises under Belpatrick Mountain, and joins the Dee at Drumcot."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018