MOSSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of ARDEE, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 2 miles (S. W.) from Dunleer, on the road to Collon; containing 1229 inhabitants. It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 3817¾ statute acres, chiefly in tillage., and under an improved system of agriculture. Rathescar, the seat of the Hon. Baron Foster (formerly belonging to a branch of the Barnewall family), is a spacious mansion, erected on the site of an ancient castle. The Baron has erected an excellent observatory, which being raised to a considerable height above the house, forms a conspicuous object at a distance, and commands extensive views: the gardens and hot-houses are of the first character; and the demesne, which comprises about 480 statute acres, is well planted, tastefully disposed, and embellished with a fine sheet of water. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Armagh, forming part of the union of Collon: the tithes amount to £248.14. 11., and there is a glebe of three acres, valued at £5. 9. 10.
per annum. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Dunleer, and has a chapel at Philipstown.
The school at Philipstown is aided by an annual donation of £10 from the Hon. Baron Foster: in this and in a private school about 180 children are educated.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.