PARSONSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of FERRARD, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (S. E.) from Dunleer; containing 257 inhabitants.
It is situated on the eastern coast, and, according to the Ordnance survey, comprises 524 statute acres, some of which is good land, but the remainder consists of a cold tenacious clay. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Armagh, constituting part of the union of Dunany; the rectory is impropriate in the Marquess of Drogheda: the tithes amount to £48. 12., of which £29. 7. is payable to the impropriator, and £19. 5. to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Rathdrummin, or Clogher.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Parsonstown to another place.
See the parish page on logainm.ie (The Placenames Database of Ireland)
The entry for Parsonstown from Griffiths Valuation 1847/64
Tithe Applotment Books 1823/37 for this parish on TNAI
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference O1343886265 (Lat/Lon: 53.813676, -6.278526), Parsonstown which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
713438,786265and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)