PHILIPSTOWN-NUGENT, a parish, in the barony of UPPER-DUNDALK, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 2¾ miles (W. N. W.) from Dundalk, on the road to Castle-Blayney and on the river of Philipstown; containing 459 inhabitants. It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 1035¾ statute acres of land, chiefly in tillage. Here are the extensive flour-mills of Messrs. Keiran, fitted up in a superior manner; and at Hackball's Cross is a station of the constabulary police. It is a curacy, in the diocese of Armagh, forming part of the union of Baronstown; the rectory is appropriate to the dean and chapter of Christ-Church, Dublin. The tithes amount to £107. 13. 5. The glebe-house is a handsome residence surrounded by neatly planted grounds; and nearly adjoining it is the church of the union, which is noticed in the article on Baronstown.
In the R. C. divisions also the parish is in the union or district of Baronstown.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Philipstown Nugent to another place.
See the parish page (Barony; Dundalk Upper) on logainm.ie (The Placenames Database of Ireland)
Tithe Applotment Books 1823/37 for this parish on TNAI
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference H9853609452 (Lat/Lon: 54.024954, -6.497217), Philipstown Nugent which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
698536,809452and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)