RATHDRUMMIN, a parish, in the barony of FERRARD, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 2 miles (S. E.) from Dunleer, on the road from Drogheda to Dundalk; containing 640 inhabitants. It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 1211a. 0r. 27p.: the land is good and almost entirely in tillage, and the state of agriculture is much improved. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Armagh, united by act of council, in 1810, to the rectory of Carrickbaggot and vicarage of Port, and in the patronage of the Crown.
The tithes amount to £82. 6. 3½.; and the gross value of the benefice, including the glebes, comprising 13 acres, and valued at £25 per ann., is £310. 4. 3. The glebe-house was erected in 1810, by aid of a gift of £369, and a loan of the same amount from the late Board of First Fruits. The church is a neat structure, rebuilt in 1814 at an expense of £461, being a loan from the same Board. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also the parishes of Clogher, Mayne, and Parsons town, and con- taining the chapels of Walshstown, in the parish of Rathdrummin, and Hacketscross in Clogher. Near the church is a large rath attributed to the Danes, consisting of an elevated area, 130 yards in circumference.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.