SHENLISH, or SHANLESS, a parish, in the barony of ARDEE, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 1 mile (S. W.) from Ardee, on the road to Kells and Navan; containing 501 inhabitants. It is situated on the confines of the county of Meath, and comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 2038¼ statute acres, of which 217 are under water; the land is in general of good quality, and chiefly under tillage.
It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Armagh, forming part of the union of Ardee: the rectory is impropriate in Viscount Ferrard, to whom the tithes, amounting to £82. 10., are entirely payable. In the R. C. divisions also it forms part of the union or district of Ardee.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.