1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
In 1868, the parish of Addergoole contained the following places:
"ADDERGOOLE, a parish in the barony of Tyrawley, in the county of Mayo, and province of Connaught, Ireland, 6 miles N.E. of Newport. It is situated on Lough Conn, which forms its northern boundary, and contains the greater part of the hill of Nephin, which rises to the height of 2,640 feet. The surface is chiefly mountain and bog. There are quarries of limestone. The living is a vicarage united with Crossmolina, in the diocese of Tuam, Killala, and Achonry. An abbey formerly existed here, of which there are still some remains. There are also some vestiges of an ancient castle. Castle Hill and Woodpark are the principal residences."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018