AUGHAGOWER, a parish, chiefly in the barony of BURRISHOOLE, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, but partly in the barony of MURRISK, 4 miles (S. E. by S.) from Westport; containing 12,045 inhabitants.
It is situated on the confines of the county of Galway, and on the road from Westport to Ballinrobe: the greater portion is mountain, about one-tenth only being under tillage; about 100 acres are woodland, and there are large tracts of bog. The system of agriculture is in a very rude and unimproved state, spade husbandry being still prevalent to a considerable extent. Lead mines have been opened in the mountains, which are the property of the Marquess of Sligo, but they are not worked at present; and there is a large quarry of slate of a very heavy quality, which is not now in operation.
Mount Browne House, now the seat of J. Browne, Esq., was, during the disturbances of 1798, the seat of the Right Hon. Denis Browne, brother of the Marquess of Sligo, and was for some time in the possession of the insurgents. The linen manufacture is partially carried on, but is diminishing every year, and at prosent affords employment only to a small number of persons.
Fairs are held on June 24th, July 21st, Aug. 6th, and Sept, 29th. The parish is in the diocese of Tuam; the rectory is appropriate to the archdeaconry, and also to the prebends of Faldown and Killabeggs in the cathedral of Tuam; the vicarage forms part of the union of Westport.
The tithes amount to £450, of which £355 is payable to the vicar. The church, a modern edifice with a square tower, was erected at an expense of £1200.
The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church: the chapel is a small thatched building, and there is also a chapel at Erriff of similar character, both inadequate to the accommodation of their respective congregations. There are six schools, situated respectively at Ayle, Ardygommon, Cushinkeel, Aughagower, Triangle, and Lanmore, in which about 700 children are taught; and there is also a hedge school at Carranmore of 50 boys and 40 girls. The only antiquities are a round tower in the village, and the remains of an old castle at Doone. St. Patrick founded here the monastery of Achadfobhair, and placed St. Senach over it: it afterwards became the parish church.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.