AGHAVOWER, or AGHAMORE, a parish, in the barony of COSTELLO, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 4½ miles (N.) from Ballyhaunis, on the road from that place to Swinford; containing 7062 inhabitants. St. Patrick is said to have erected a monastery here, for his disciple St. Loarn. The surface of the parish is varied with several small lakes; the lands are chiefly under tillage 5 there is a considerable quantity of bog, also a quarry of black marble. The gentlemen's seats are Cooge, the residence of James Dillon, Esq.; Annach, of Thomas Tyrrell, Esq.; and Oahil, of James McDonnell, Esq. Fairs are held at Ballinacostello on June 3rd, Aug. 8th, Oct. 19th, and Dec.
18th. The parish is in the diocese of Tuam, and is a rectory and vicarage, forming part of the union of Kiltullagh: the tithes amount to £158. 4. 10. The ancient church is in ruins, but the cemetery is still used.
In the R. C. divisions it is part of the district of Knock; the chapel is an old thatched building. There are seven pay schools, in which are about 550 children. At Cloonfallagh there is a mineral spring.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Aghamore to another place.
See the parish page on logainm.ie (The Placenames Database of Ireland)
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference M4526586904 (Lat/Lon: 53.828889, -8.831995), Aghamore which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
545265,786904and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)