ANNAGH, a parish, in the barony of COSTELLO, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, on the road from Castlebar to Frenchpark; containing, with the post-town of Ballyhaunis, 6885 inhabitants. This place was chiefly distinguished for a cell of Franciscan friars, though by some writers said to have been founded by Walter de Burgh for brethren of the order of St.
Augustine, as a cell to the abbey of Cong, and to have been the burial-place of Walter, Lord Mac William Oughter, who was interred here in 1440. The parish comprises 16,325 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: it is principally under tillage; and there is a sufficient quantity of bog. Logboy is the residence of E. Nolan, Esq., and Hollywell, of J. Bourke, Esq.
A weekly market and annual fairs are held at Ballyhaunis, which see. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Tuam, and forms part of the union of Kiltullagh: the tithes amount to £194. 19. 11. The R. C.
parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church; there are chapels at Ballyhaunis and Tulrahan.
The old monastery at the former place is still occupied by friars of the order of St. Augustine. There are eight pay schools in the parish, in which are about 390 boys and 230 girls.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Annagh to another place.
See the parish page on logainm.ie (The Placenames Database of Ireland)
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference M4880475786 (Lat/Lon: 53.729378, -8.776408), Annagh which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
548804,775786and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)