BALLYHANE, or BALLYHEAN, a parish, in the barony of CARRA, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 4½ miles (S. by W.) from Castlebar; containing 3734 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the road from Castlebar to Ballinrobe, and is principally under tillage 3 it contains Kilboyne House, the residence of Sir S. O'Malley,Bart. Fairs are held on July 4th, and Aug. 20th. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Tuam, and forms part of the union of Burriscarra, the church of which, a neat plain edifice, is situated in this parish, and has been lately repaired by a grant of £269 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners: the tithes amount to £165. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Castlebar: the chapel is a good slated building. At Drumrathcahil is a school of 76 boys and 40 girls; and there are two pay schools. At Kinturk are the ruins a fine old castle; formerly one of the residences of Grace O'Malley.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.