DUNFEENY, or DOONFENEY, a parish, in the barony of TYRAWLEY, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 9 miles (N. w.) from Killala; containing 4110 inhabitants. This parish is situated upon the new line of road from Killala to Belmullet, now in progress through the mountains, and upon Bantraher bay. It comprises a large tract of bog; and limestone, freestone, slate, and copper are found here. The.seats are Mount Glynne, the residence of J. Faussett, Esq.; Gross Lodge, of R. Faussett, Esq.; and Glynne Castle, of Mrs. Watts. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Killala, forming part of the union of Kilbride; the rectory is appropriate to the deanery and precentorship of Killala.
The tithes amount to £300, half of which is paid to the dean and precentor, and the rest to the vicar, There is a good glebe-house, and a glebe of 19½ acres. The church is a large building in good repair, erected by aid of a loan of £830, in 1810, from the late Board of First Fruits. The R, C. union is co-extensive with that of the Established Church; there is a chapel at Ballycastle, and another at Belderig. There are four public schools, one of which is aided by an annual donation from Mr. Knox, and in which about 450 children are educated; and four private schools, in which are about 70 children.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.