In 1868, the parish of Doonfeeny contained the following places:
"DOONFEENY, (or Dunfeeney), a parish in the barony of Tirawley, in the county of Mayo, province of Connaught, Ireland, 8 miles N.W. of Killala, its post town. It is situated on the N. coast of the county, and on the road from Killala to Belmullet. The surface is broken by considerable tracts of bog and lofty hills. Maumakeogh, the principal summit, rises 1,243 feet above sea-level. Limestone, slate, and copper ore are worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese* of Killala, value with Kilbride, £196, in the patronage of the bishop. The church was erected in 1810 by means of a loan granted by the late Board of First Fruits. There are two Roman Catholic chapels, a Methodist meeting-house, two daily schools assisted by the London Hibernian Society, two by the Baptist Society, and four or five others. Mount Glynne and Glynne Castle are the principal residences.
"BALLYCASTLE, a village in the parish of Doonfeeny, and barony of Tirawley, in the county of Mayo, province of Connaught, Ireland, 16 miles to the N.W. of Ballina. It is pleasantly seated on the coast, not far from Downpatrick Head. It has a chief police station, and petty sessions are held weekly."