The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
In 1868, the parish of Drum contained the following places:
"DRUM, a parish in the barony of Carra, in the county of Mayo, province of Connaught, Ireland, 4 miles S.E. of Castlebar. It is situated on the river Miranda. The surface is broken and rocky, with bog, having Lough Cloonagh on the N., and those of Lakeland and Walshpool on the E. The living is a rectory wholly impropriate to the vicars-choral of Dublin. The church stands in the village of Balcarra. It is a handsome building, erected by means of a loan from the late Board of First Fruits. The Curate of Balla performs the duties of the church. The Roman Catholic chapel is united to that of Balla. There are one free and two day schools. The residences are Bridgemount and Ballinafad, which latter place was taken by a party of French who landed at Kilcummin in 1798. Hard by is Donomona, the ancient demesne of the Blake family, and on the banks of the river are the ruins of a castle and burial-ground. Good limestone is quarried. The river abounds with fine pike."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018