Kilbride

Primary tabs

KILBREEDY, or KILBRIDE, a parish, in the barony of TYRAWLEY, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 7 miles (N. N.W.) from Killala, on the road from Rathlacken to Baliycastle; containing 2023 inhabitants.

The soil is marshy, and there is a considerable quantity of bog. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Killala, and forms part of the union of Dunfeeny: the rectory is appropriate to the dean and precentor of Killala.

The tithes amount to £147.10., half of which is equally divided between the dean and precentor, and half is payable to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions also it is part of the union or district of Dunfeeny. About 40 children are educated in a private school. There is a chalybeate spring in the parish. Downpatrick Head is an insulated circular cliff, about 80 yards from the shore, on the summit of which are the remains of a building.

from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.

topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Kilbride which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kilbride to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

Historical Geography

The civil parish of Kilbride contained the following townlands:

topup